Many small objects often have warnings like “Choking Hazard” or “Not Suitable for Children,” signaling to consumers the risk if a child were to get to the product without supervision. The Washington Post reported on one particular object that is causing injuries, deaths, and is leaving those in charge of public safety scrambling to find a solution: the rare-earth magnet.
The magnets are tiny balls that are typically desk toys—they can be something to fiddle with or make a small piece of art. However, they are also incredibly powerful and can cause a lot of harm if ingested. There has been back and forth between the manufacturers of these products and those in charge of public safety. Let’s take a closer look at this issue.