Personal Attention, Proven Results Since 1953

When Should You Hire an Attorney to Resolve your Property Insurance Dispute?

Published on Jun 24, 2019 at 3:25 pm in Property Damage.

After filing an insurance claim for property damage due to a natural disaster, like that from the recent flooding along the Arkansas River, your insurance company will assign an adjuster to your claim. The adjuster will assist you in the claims process – inspecting the damage, reviewing your list of lost or damaged property, and work with you to calculate the value of the items on your list. You and the adjuster should come to an agreement on the scope of damage. However, it’s not uncommon for disputes to arise over the extent of the damage, whether your property should be repaired or fully replaced, what the policy covers, or the amount for coverage.

At what point should you involve an attorney with your insurance claim dispute? If you have a good, working relationship with your insurance adjuster, if he or she is assertive, responsive, and polite, and your insurer is cooperating in trying to resolve your claim, continue working together. Hiring an attorney may not be necessary. If you find that you’ve come to a road block by becoming overly-frustrated or angry with your adjuster’s lack of communication, lack of a sense of urgency, or you strongly disagree with the insurer’s scope of damages and their costs, consider hiring an attorney. An attorney can help you get the attention and results you deserve.

Tips for Filing a Property Insurance Claim after a Flood in Arkansas

Published on Jun 21, 2019 at 11:23 am in Property Damage.

After heavy rains resulted in record flooding in Arkansas over the past month, thousands of Arkansans were displaced from their homes and many more experienced property damage. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, flooding is the most common and costly natural disaster.

If you are a victim of recent flooding in Arkansas, be sure to follow these easy steps for making the most of your insurance claim:

Property Damage Payments in Car Wrecks

Published on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:19 pm in car accident, Property Damage, Sales Tax on wrecked car, Totaled, Uncategorized.

Besides physical injury, one of the initial “headaches” after a car wreck is dealing with the damage to your vehicle. We get a ton of questions about property damage claims, particularly when our client’s car or truck is totaled. Ark. Code Annotated Sec. 23-89-211 governs total loss settlements. You are entitled to the fair market value of your car or truck prior to the wreck. An insurance company when making a settlement offer to you must not only include the value of the car or truck but all sales tax, license fees and other fees due you as laid out in Arkansas Insurance Department Rule and Regulation 43. The offer from the insurance company should provide an itemized list stating how much they are offering on the car or truck and listing separately amounts for sale tax, license fees and other fees. The sales tax is figured as if you were purchasing an automobile of the same value of the car or truck totaled. Keep in mind that you can negotiate over the value of the vehicle if you disagree with insurance company, but you will need some evidence of fair market value of your car or truck immediately prior to the wreck. Most law firms taking car and truck wreck cases do not take any fee for helping with the property damage settlement so long as a trial or litigation is not required.

Free Case Evaluations

Disclaimer: Some non-personal injury related cases do require a consultation fee.

Call us or fill out the form below to tell us about your potential case and a personal injury lawyer will get back to you as quickly as possible.