When you use a product, you expect it to work properly and not pose a risk to your well-being. Companies are supposed to ensure that their products undergo rigorous testing before release, but this isn’t always the case. If a company acts negligently and puts a defective product on the market, people who use the product could possibly be injured or worse. You can get help from the Little Rock product liability lawyers from McMath Woods P.A.
Standing up to a manufacturing company may seem intimidating, but the lawyers at McMath Woods P.A. have years of experience in product liability cases. We’re proud of what we’ve accomplished for those injured by defective products. Our team knows how to thoroughly investigate a defective product case and defend our client’s rights.
What Are the Kinds of Defective Products?
Any product that people consume, use, or operate has the ability to be defective. It often comes down to the company and if they were negligent during the process of making the product and putting it on the market. Types of possible defective products include:
- Medical Devices. This could include machines in hospitals or devices that help with surgery. Some medical devices are implanted and people depend on them to work and not degrade. Failing medical products puts patients at risk of injury or could even be life threatening.
- Auto Product Liability. People depend on cars every day. If the brakes, steering, or engine go out because they’re defective, the driver could get into a crash and injure themselves and others.
- Aircraft Product Liability. Issues with elements of an airplane could risk the safety of everyone who’s on the flight. Aircraft injuries can be catastrophic and they may have never happened in the first place if negligence didn’t occur when the plane’s components were made.
- Household Items. Appliances, furniture, and even children’s toys can be defective and hazardous. This could include everyday items like microwaves, fans, decorations, or crib mobiles.
These aren’t the only kind of defective products we’ve handled. If you have a question regarding the validity of your defective product claim, you can ask one of our product liability attorneys.
How Do Products Become Defective?
There are a few stages of production where a product can become defective. The following areas of development have their own responsibilities in making a product and getting it to shelves, but if one detail is wrong or off, the product could harm someone.
- Resourcing. If a product is made with cheap materials or materials that break down over time, the product can become defective. It could be more than the product not working, there could be electrical issues that could cause electrocution or become a fire hazard.
- Design. Flaws in the design could mean the product could become dangerous. Similar to manufacturing, a design flaw in a device that uses electricity could make the product flammable.
- Packaging. A product can be safe to use, but if it’s in packaging that has an error, it’s still defective. The instructions need to be clear and correct. There’s a chance of instructions using confusing graphics, so they could make people use the product incorrectly. Missing or omitting risks from the packaging could lead to an injury.
Companies have an obligation to put safe products on the market. When something goes wrong and makes the product dangerous, you may need to know how that happened for you claim. Your product liability lawyer will look into your case and injuries to see what made the product defective.
What Compensation Can You Get With a Defective Product Claim?
Your injury may prevent you from working and make completing everyday tasks difficult and painful. A successful settlement will help you afford care and not have to worry about future expenses. Your product liability attorney will do everything to make sure you get the compensation you need. Your settlement could cover the following:
- Pain and Suffering. Taking note of your injuries and the pain you’re feeling will help show how the defective product has hurt you and affected your life.
- Medical Expenses. Your injury may have put you in the hospital or required surgery to fix. You will probably need care in the future for your recovery. Your lawyer will calculate how much your medical expenses have cost in the past and what you will need in the future, and your compensation will help with it.
- Lost Wages and Loss of Earnings. Your injuries can either stop you from working for a period of time or cause you to not be able to return to your job at all. Your compensation can help cover the work that you’ve missed or will miss.
- Property Damage. If the defective product caused damage to your house or car, you may be able to get compensation to cover those costs.
In the most serious cases, a defective product can cause a wrongful death. McMath Woods P.A. will help you get justice for your loved one and hold the people that made the defective product responsible for their actions.
How a Little Rock Product Liability Lawyer Can Help You
Companies need to be held accountable when they put a defective product on the market. Your injuries and case shouldn’t be ignored. McMath Woods P.A. is ready to represent you and make sure you get the compensation you need. You won’t have to worry about being overwhelmed or getting an unfavorable settlement because you’ll know you have skilled lawyers looking out for your best interests.
Get in touch with us today to schedule a free consultation and you can discuss your case with one of our Arkansas product liability attorneys.