When a large company or corporation has a product that has caused harm to a lot of people, there are a few options when it comes to getting justice. One of the ways that sends a clear message to the company responsible for a large number of injuries is with a class action lawsuit. These work differently than private lawsuits and should be handled by an experienced and previously successful attorney. A Little Rock class action lawyer from McMath Woods P.A. can achieve a successful settlement on your behalf and has the experience your case deserves.
We will stand up for your rights and won’t let a negligent company intimidate you or us. You and the others involved in the class action lawsuit deserve to have your voices be heard and to win a favorable settlement that will help you cover the costs of the following:
- Pain and Suffering
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Earnings
You can have peace of mind that we’re protecting your best interests. You won’t have to worry about taking time to recover or figuring out how to manage your hospital bills, especially if you haven’t been able to work. McMath Woods P.A. will fight for you to get the compensation you deserve.
What Is a Class Action Lawsuit?
A class action lawsuit can happen when a group of people have had similar injuries when they used the same product. It could be about injuries from a defective medical device, a piece of auto equipment, household appliances—anything that has caused harm to many people.
In a class action lawsuit, one person or a small group of people represents the larger group who has been injured. The lawsuits can happen in federal and state courts.
For a class action lawsuit to have grounds, it needs to include the following:
- A legal claim against the negligent party.
- A large group of people must have similar injuries. So, if people used a defective medial device but had different side effects, they wouldn’t be able to file a class action lawsuit.
- The person or small group leading the class action lawsuit needs to have a reasonable plan and seek equal outcomes for the members of the class.
One kind of case that is common in class action lawsuits is product liability cases. Whenever a product is faulty or dangerous and it causes harm to someone, they can make a product liability claim. If a large group of people used the hazardous device and all got similar injuries, they may try to file a class action lawsuit.
What Are the Advantages of a Class Action Lawsuit?
Class action lawsuits work a bit differently than lawsuits brought forward by an individual. There are a few advantages to a class action lawsuit that could help inform you about if this direction is right for you and your case.
Advantages of class action lawsuits include:
- Awareness of the Issue. A class action will unite many injured parties. There’s a chance this will get more attention and exposure than an individual bringing their case forward.
- Corporations May Take You More Seriously. They won’t be able to ignore a class action lawsuit because of the awareness. It’s not as easy to dismiss a group of people.
- Strengthens Claim. When people speak up about their similar injuries, it shows how dangerous the product is and how negligence caused harm.
- Lowers Costs. Expensive court costs may deter individuals from filing a claim. In a class action, class members can divide the costs of litigation.
- Chance that All Plaintiffs to Recover Damages. If individuals come forward and win cases, the company may not be able to afford the costs of the damages. While some individuals may get a favorable settlement, those who file claims later may not get a fair settlement because the company can’t pay them. A class action lawsuit means the plaintiffs will receive the same amount of damages.
But you should also be aware of the limitations that comes with a class action case. You may not have control over the decision-making process. This also includes when to settle or when to continue with the case. If you have an incompetent representative who doesn’t have valid claims, this may hurt you and your legitimate claims.
Get Help from an Arkansas Class Action Lawyer
Your life shouldn’t be put on hold because a company made a dangerous product or took wrongful actions. While you may have to take time to heal, you shouldn’t have to bear the financial burden on your own. The company needs to be held accountable for the negligence. You may find that others have had similar experiences as you and also want to seek justice.
You deserve to have your best options laid out so you can make an informed decision about whether to take part in a class action case and who will be your legal representative. McMath Woods P.A. will help you find the course of action that will benefit you. Call McMath Woods P.A. today for a free consultation of your case so we can discuss the merits of your case.