When you’re traveling on highways and interstates in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, you may share the road with a considerable amount of large trucks. If a truck driver loses control of their vehicle, it could cause an accident that causes severe injuries to everyone involved. Were you or a loved one harmed in a collision? McMath Woods P.A. can help you fight for your rights. An experienced Pine Bluff truck accident lawyer from our law firm will seek justice on your or your loved one’s behalf.
Why Are Semi-Truck Accidents So Dangerous?
The disparity between 18 wheelers and other vehicles on the road is why these accidents can be so devastating. Big rigs can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. When this type of vehicle collides with a regular-sized vehicle, it’s likely that the occupants in the smaller vehicle could sustain life-threatening injuries. Trucks can also cause uniquely dangerous types of crashes.
- Jackknife. This kind of accident can occur if the driver is speeding or the cargo in their trailer isn’t secure. The trailer swings out from behind the tractor. The driver will likely not be able to get the trailer back under control and the trailer could swing into oncoming traffic.
- Overloaded Trailer. If the trailer is too heavy for the truck, it can damage the axles or break them. If this happens, an accident could occur.
- Lost Load. In some cases, the trailer cargo may not be secured properly or the trailer itself isn’t secured. Cargo could fall out of the back of the trailer or the trailer could detach from the tractor.
- Override. A truck can ride over the back of a car in front of them or if the driver changes lanes and doesn’t check for other cars, they can trap a car underneath the truck. These accidents can shear off part of the car’s roof and are likely to result in serious injuries and fatalities.
These accidents can cause permanent brain injuries, paralysis, loss of limb, and internal organ damage. When someone is dealing with an injury that will have permanent consequences that prevents them from being able to work, the injury is called catastrophic. These injuries can result in high medical bills and can be financially and emotionally overwhelming. We can help you.
Your Pine Bluff truck accident lawyer will find out why your collision occurred. We’ll also find out how you were injured, what medical costs you’ve incurred, what it costs to live with your injuries each day, and what you’ll need to properly recover. We’ll fight for you to get compensation for the total losses you’ve suffered.
Who Is Responsible for Your Accident?
As we investigate your case, we’ll also need to find out who caused your accident. There are a few parties that may have been responsible.
- Truck Driver. A truck driver could make a dangerous decision behind the wheel—driving distracted, drunk, or was speeding. There’s also a chance the driver was inexperienced, so they don’t know how to maneuver a big rig, which includes providing more time to speed up, slow down, and set up turns. If the driver was fatigued, they may have fallen asleep at the wheel or had a slowed reaction time because of their exhaustion.
- Trucking Company. A trucking company could be responsible if they had negligent hiring practices, didn’t check the truck for maintenance, or overloaded the vehicle to ship more cargo. If the trucking company has a history of negligence, it’s likely that they continued to make negligent decisions. We’ll hold them accountable.
- Auto Parts Manufacturer. If a tire blew out, the brakes stopped working, or another auto part malfunctioned and the driver lost control of the truck, then you may think that the driver was the one at fault. However, it’s possible for an auto parts manufacturer to be responsible for the accident because they provided the defective auto part.
Determining responsibility for a truck collision can be difficult. Our truck accident attorneys have experience in investigating truck accidents and have helped people all over the state of Arkansas. We’ll consult with experts to make sure we have all the facts of the accident.
When we know who was responsible, how your accident occurred, and how you were injured, then we can begin building your case and start fighting for you to get the recovery you deserve.
How Can a Pine Bluff Truck Accident Lawyer Protect Your Rights?
When you’re going up against a trucking company, it’s easy to feel intimidated. They may have their own team of professional representation and it may seem like it will be difficult to get justice. That’s why our lawyers are here.
We’ll fight for your compensation to cover the damages of the accident. This includes your medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and costs of future care. There are other possible losses you incurred because of your injuries: diminished earning capacity or loss of earnings.
If you’re unable to go back to your job but can still work, the position may not pay as well as your previous one. In this case, you can recover compensation for diminished earning capacity. If you cannot go back to work at all due to a catastrophic injury, you may recover loss of earnings, or what you would have earned had you been able to continue to work.
Additionally, our lawyers will include the emotional consequences of the truck collision as well. Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life are also aspects of the accident that you can recover damages for. While these don’t have a bill or financial loss attached to them, our lawyers will evaluate how the accident has affected your life and calculate a fair compensation amount.
Seek Your Legal Options with McMath Woods P.A. Today
You deserve to have representation you trust. Our lawyers have years of experience in representing truck accident victims and not settling for less than they deserve. We’ll advocate for your rights and will help you get justice. To schedule a free case evaluation, get in touch with our office today. Then we can start the process to securing your financial future.