If you’re on another’s property, whether it’s a store, restaurant, or other place of business, you expect it to be well-maintained and kept safe. However, that may not always happen. If the person in charge of keeping the premises safe is negligent, then others can get hurt on the property. Were you or a loved one hurt because someone didn’t keep their premises safe? Our law firm is here for you. A Pine Bluff premises liability lawyer may be able to help you with a claim.
McMath Woods P.A. has years of experience in fighting for those who were harmed because of another’s negligence. When this happens on someone else’s property, you deserve to hold them accountable for your injuries. There are many ways that these accidents can occur and the injuries can be severe. You deserve to recover without worrying about other expenses or putting food on the table. We’ll protect your rights.
Defining Premises Liability
This area of personal injury law is when someone didn’t keep their premises safe and as a result, someone else got hurt. The person who was hurt can take legal action and hold the negligent owner responsible for the injuries and damages they sustained.
In Arkansas, the landowner’s liability may change depending on who was on the property. If the person had permission to be there, then the property owner could be held liable for their injuries. However, if the person who was injured was a trespasser, they didn’t have permission to be there and the owner isn’t liable for their injuries.
What Hazards Make a Premises Dangerous?
As our premises liability lawyers work on your case, we’ll identify the hazard that caused your accident and resulting injuries. We’re familiar with the common reasons why injuries happen on a premises. Some of those reasons are:
- Unsalted Sidewalks. In the winter, sidewalks, walkways, and steps need to be salted and shoveled so people can walk on them safely. If they’re not cleared of snow or ice and are slippery, people could slip and sustain injuries.
- Spills. When there’s a spill on the floor, it needs to be cleaned up or people on the premises need to be aware of the spill. If the person in charge doesn’t take steps to clean the spill up in a timely manner, they could be at fault for injuries if someone slips.
- Unstable Staircase/Railing. Those on the premises need to be aware of unsafe staircases and railings. This could be blocking them off from use and the owner should take measures to fix them.
- Electrical Issues. A premises with electrical issues could result in a spark that causes a fire, or the wiring could cause an electrocution if it’s exposed.
- Poor Lighting. When there’s poor lighting in an area, it’s difficult for people to navigate the space safely. They could trip and sustain injuries.
- Lack of Security. If you’ve been hurt on a premises and it didn’t have proper security that could have prevented the incident, then you may have a valid premises liability claim.
- Dog Bites. Dog owners need to maintain control of their dog both on and off their property. They also need to make sure that their dog cannot escape their property. If you’ve been bitten or knocked over by someone else’s dog, the owners can be held responsible for your injuries.
- Swimming Pools. If there’s a swimming pool on the premises, it needs to be enclosed to prevent access when it’s not in use.
When your Pine Bluff premises liability lawyers are investigating what happened, we’ll look at the accident report, surveillance if there’s footage of what happened, and any other accounts of what happened. We’ll be able to find out who was responsible for your accident.
What Are the Common Premises Liability Accident Injuries?
The injuries that can result from a premises liability accident can cause you to miss work, stay in the hospital, and need a long time for recovery. Some examples of injuries include:
- Slip and Fall Injuries. Slip and fall accidents can result in many types of injuries to the head, neck, back, and break bones.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. These injuries can result in issues with communication, memory, and speech.
- Sprains/Strains. Sprains and strains may not be obvious at first because the injuries may not be visible. These injuries can need professional care and could require treatment for a couple of weeks.
- Broken Bones. If someone falls, they may try to stop the fall and catch themselves with their hand. However, this puts the impact on the hand and the arm, which can break the bones.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. If the spinal cord sustains damage, paralysis can result.
- Burn Injuries. A burn injury can come from faulty wiring or a fire on the premises. These injuries may require surgery if they’re severe.
- Nerve Damage. An accident that results in nerve damage can affect someone’s feeling and function of a certain area.
- Infection. This kind of injury can result from dog bites. If the dog wasn’t vaccinated, they can pass on disease in the bite. The bite area can get infected and require medical treatment.
- Bruises. Severe bruising can occur from falling because of an icy sidewalk or a spill that wasn’t cleaned up.
When you’re dealing with the injuries from the accident, you may wonder how you’re going to handle a legal claim. That’s where our premises liability lawyers can help.
How Will Your Pine Bluff Premises Liability Lawyer Fight for You?
When you’re seeking a premises liability claim, you want experienced representation on your side. With our lawyers advocating for your rights, you can rest assured that we’re going to fight for you to get full and fair compensation for your injuries.
As we’re building your claim, we’ll use evidence to prove the following:
- Owed Duty of Care. If you were allowed to be on the property, then you were owed a duty of care. This mans that the negligent party should have taken measures to prevent you from being hurt.
- Breach of Duty of Care. Then, we’ll look into how the property owner was negligent. This could be someone not fixing a hole in their fence and their dog got out, or not addressing faulty or exposed wiring.
- You Sustained Injuries and Damages. Once we show how they acted negligently, we’ll use medical records to prove that you were harmed and suffered physically and financially because of their negligence.
Our lawyers are familiar with the costs of a premises liability accident. You need time and care to recover from your injuries. That’s why we’ll seek compensation that covers:
- Medical Expenses. This includes medical bills you have and bills you will have in the future.
- Lost Wages. You may need to miss work for some time during your recovery. We’ll look at the days of work you’ve missed and will miss and calculate the lost wages.
- Property Damage. If your property was damaged in the accident, we’ll include these losses in your claim.
- Emotional Distress. The emotional distress of the accident may have you repeating the incident in your head or worrying about your injuries and how they will affect your future. We’ll keep how you were emotionally affected when determining your compensation amount.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life. Your injuries could prevent you from living your life as you would have before the accident. While this isn’t a financial loss like a medical bill, it’s still a loss that you can recover damages for in your compensation.
- Pain and Suffering. Living with your injuries can take a toll. You can receive compensation for pain and suffering damages.
You shouldn’t have to worry about medical bills and time away from work when you’re recovering from injuries. You may also feel increased financial stress if others depend on you for income. That’s why we’ll fight for you to get the financial security that you deserve.
When you’re recovering from your injuries, an insurance adjuster may reach out to you for an official statement about the accident and your injuries. It’s important to not make any official statements because they can use this information to reduce your compensation. You may not know the full effects of your injuries or what your recovery will require.
Your Pine Bluff premises liability lawyer will communicate with the insurance company so they get the essential information while protecting your claim. As we fight for you, the other side may not offer compensation that accurately reflects the injuries you sustained. If necessary, we will take your case to court and seek full and fair compensation in front of a jury.
McMath Woods P.A. Can Help You Get Justice
If you’ve been hurt on another’s property in Pine Bluff, it’s important to at quickly. There are time limits for personal injury cases and if you miss this window, you will likely not be able to pursue your claim. Reach out to our premises liability lawyers today for a free consultation. We’ll go over your case and help you find the best way to move forward.