Companies with negligent safety practices can expose workers or others in the environment to toxic chemical exposure. This may happen in a single accident or it could happen over time. As a result, people can get sick and may develop life-threatening illnesses. If this has happened to you or a loved one, you do have options available to you. A Pine Bluff environmental lawyer from McMath Woods P.A. can fight for your rights and get you the justice you deserve.
What Types of Cases Do Environmental Lawyers Handle?
The United States Environmental Protection Agency provides summaries of currently existing environmental laws. These range from protecting the air, water, and land from pollution to endangered species to dealing with waste. The Pine Bluff environmental lawyers may handle cases that involve violations to these laws or when companies don’t follow regulations. Cases can include:
- Pollution. When pollution gets into water or air, it can severely affect the environment and those who live there. It can affect the quality of life and also cause illnesses.
- Waste Management. If a company is cutting corners for how they dispose of waste, this could put others in danger.
- Spills. A company may not have preventative safety measures in place to transport chemicals. If an accident happens, those chemicals can seep into the environment.
There are many ways that environmental accidents can occur. When our environmental lawyers are looking into your case, we’ll investigate how it happened and the company’s history of accidents that affected the environment. We may find past instances of negligence as well and they could have acted similarly in the accident that harmed you.
What Illnesses Can Arise from Environmental Law Violations?
If environmental laws are violated, then people could be exposed to harmful chemicals. Common harmful chemicals include asbestos, benzene, lead, and beryllium. If someone is exposed to these, they could develop illnesses like the following:
- Mesothelioma. This can occur when one is exposed to asbestos. This chemical was heavily used in construction in the 20th century and may still be in existing structures today. While there are treatments available for this illness, mesothelioma does not have a cure. It can take years to develop and detect. By the time it’s detected, the cancer could be in its later stages.
- Leukemia. Benzene is a chemical that is usually added to gasoline. When someone is exposed to benzene over time, they could develop illnesses like leukemia or other forms of cancer.
- Lead Poisoning. Overexposure to lead can result in painful symptoms like headaches, cognitive issues, high blood pressure, and abdominal pain. There are steps that can treat these symptoms and stop the source from causing harm, but they should not have happened in the first place.
- Chronic Beryllium Disease. Exposure to beryllium can result in this disease that affects the lungs. If it’s left undiagnosed and the disease progresses, the disease could be deadly.
It may take time and prolonged exposure before the health effects take hold or are found out. When you’re dealing with an illness or the harmful symptoms of chemical exposure, our lawyers can help you with the legal process so you can work on your recovery.
The Benefits of Having a Pine Bluff Environmental Lawyer
When you’ve been harmed because of an environmental reason, the negligent party may be a company that’s not following environmental law. Holding them responsible for your injuries and illnesses can be difficult, especially when they have their own representation. When you have a Pine Bluff environmental lawyer on your side, you can have confidence that we’ll fight for your rights no matter what.
Our environmental lawyers understand that pursuing environmental litigation takes an astute knowledge of existing environmental laws and showing that you were harmed because of the company’s actions. We’ll conduct a thorough investigation to help you recover full compensation for the injuries and damages you’ve suffered.
This compensation can include past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity. If you’ve been diagnosed with an illness, you may need continued medical treatment in the future. We’ll also look into the work you’ve missed because of it or if you’ll be able to work. Your illness may prevent you from working. You shouldn’t have to worry about how you’re going to provide for yourself and others when you need to focus on your health. We’ll fight for you to have financial security.
The other aspects of your compensation can include noneconomic damages like emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. If you lost a loved one due to their illness, you can also seek loss of guidance, companionship, and consortium. The lawyers at our law firm will make sure your loved one’s voice is heard.
McMath Woods P.A. Protects Victims of Environmental-Related Injuries
You do not need to go through this process alone. Our attorneys are here to answer your questions and advocate for your best interests. We will not be intimidated or accept a settlement that’s less than you deserve. Your environmental lawyer will do everything possible to hold the negligent company accountable for their actions and to help you move forward.
To start your case, call our office today for a free consultation. We’ll go over what happened, how you were affected, and the options available to you. We can get started working on your claim and getting you the justice you deserve.