Buses are a convenient option for public transportation around Pine Bluff. It also benefits traffic because when more people use the bus, they decrease the amount of cars on the road. When you’re on the bus, you expect the driver to be trained, qualified, and to operate the bus carefully. If they make a negligent decision, they could cause an accident that harms you and many others. Have you been injured in a bus accident? McMath Woods P.A. may be able to help you. A Pine Bluff bus accident lawyer from our firm will fight for your rights.
A bus accident can be a confusing situation because of the amount of people that can be involved. You deserve to get compensation for your injuries and damages. Our lawyers will find out who was responsible for the accident, how you were hurt, and seek full and fair compensation on your behalf.
What Causes Bus Accidents?
There are many ways that a bus accident can occur. In some cases, they can be because of the driver’s negligence. They may have caused the accident if they exhibited any of the following forms of negligence:
- Speeding. If the driver was going above the speed limit, they could lose control of the bus and cause a collision.
- Drunk Driving. When a driver is under the influence, they cannot make sound decisions and remain in control of their vehicle.
- Distracted Driving. A distracted bus driver may be focusing on their phone or the passengers on the bus instead of keeping their eyes on the road. They may not realize a light change or if someone pulled out in front of them.
- Inexperience. A bus driver that doesn’t have the experience of handling such a large vehicle may not know much time they need to slow down and come to a full stop. If an inexperienced driver misjudges how much space they need to stop, they could cause a wreck.
As your Pine Bluff bus accident lawyer investigates your case, they’ll also see if there were other factors present that contributed to the accident or the severity of your injuries. Some of those factors could be:
- Congested Area. In an urban area, it’s likely that the roads could be congested with parked cars, which makes the space to drive smaller. Sideswipe accidents could be more likely to occur.
- Weight Distribution. If there are weight distribution issues with the bus, it could be less stable. This could reduce the driver’s control of the bus.
- Road Conditions. Weather, potholes, and construction work zones could also contribute to the accident.
We’ll consult with experts to find out all the information we can about the crash and use the evidence to support your claim, whether you were a passenger on the bus or you were in another vehicle involved in the collision.
Why Are Bus Accident Injuries So Severe?
In addition to the size and weight of the bus, passengers do not have seatbelts to hold them in place during the crash like a car does. A crash can result in passengers being thrown with the impact of the crash. This can result in severe injuries like:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Facial Injuries
- Broken Bones
In some cases, the collision could result in a fire. Passengers are also at risk of burn injuries and smoke inhalation. Minor collisions could still result in sprains, strains, or fractures.
These injuries require professional medical treatment to heal. The recovery process can take a long time and prevent people from returning to work. When you’re seeking compensation for a bus accident, the financial losses from your medical bills and lost wages are included in your claim. Your Pine Bluff bus accident lawyer will total the costs of the accident so your compensation is fair for what you’ve been through.
Determining Who Was at Fault for the Bus Collision
When we’re fighting for you, we’ll need to determine the negligent party’s identity so they can be held accountable for your injuries. There are a few possibilities:
- The Bus Driver. The bus driver may have been careless behind the wheel and caused your injuries.
- The Bus Company. The company that owns the bus is supposed to make sure it’s ready for the road. This means regular maintenance checks and tune-ups. If they neglected to care for their bus and that’s why the accident occurred, then the company may be liable for your injuries. They may also have negligent hiring practices that not done adequate background checks or training to make sure the person operating the bus was fit to do so.
- Manufacturing Company. It’s possible for the bus to have a defective auto part. If this part malfunctioned while the driver was operating the bus, they may have lost control and crashed through no fault of their own. A tire blowout or brake failure could be the manufacturing company’s fault.
- Another Negligent Driver. You may have been on an operational bus with a responsible driver but were still involved in an accident because of another negligent driver’s actions. They could have been distracted or weren’t looking when they were entering a lane and crashed into the bus. They may be responsible for the accident.
Bus accidents can get confusing quickly because of all the parties that can be involved. You may not know what insurance company to contact. That’s where your Pine Bluff bus accident lawyer can help. When we have the information about who was at fault and why the accident happened, then we can work toward holding them accountable and getting you the compensation you deserve.
Speak with an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
While the accident was preventable and shouldn’t have happened, our lawyers can help you find a solution to move forward. Contact us today for a free consultation.
We can discuss your case, how you were injured, and answer any questions you have about the legal process. We’ll find the best way to represent you and secure your financial future.