John D. Coulter, Partner of McMath Woods P.A., has practiced law for twenty years, and specializes in the areas of labor and employment law, family law, and personal injury. From discrimination and harassment to restrictive covenants, John offers his clients a candid and analytical assessment of strengths and weaknesses of their situation, and individualized solutions that each case requires regardless of whether the case is settled in or out of the courtroom. If a case does enter the courtroom, John’s thorough and in-depth case evaluation and preparation creates the fair playing field necessary to contest employers, who might otherwise have considerably more power to wield. John enjoys sharing his knowledge in the area of employment law and his skills as an effective communicator to individuals who are in the midst of difficult or distressing situations.
A strong advocate for a wide range of civil rights, John is dedicated to protecting the rights of his clients and upholding the right to trial by jury. John is a native of Nashville, AR and has lived in Little Rock since 1998.
- Carleson v. MidCon Gathering, LLC, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 105790 (E.D. Ark. 2018).
- Russenberger v. Thomas Pest Control, Inc., 2012 Ark. App. 86, 2012 WL 206487.
- Horton v. Horton, 2011 Ark. App. 361.
- Western Sizzlin Corp. v. Parks Land Co., LLLP, 2009 WL 1353110 (2009).
- Hogan v. BG Excelsior Ltd. Partnership, 2009 WL 1034763 (E.D. Ark. 2009).
- Partner, McMath Woods 2016-present
- Member, James, Carter and Coulter, P.L.C., 2006-2016
- Of Counsel, Kutak Rock, L.L.P., 2005-2006
- Partner, Rose Law Firm, P.A., 2004-2005
- Associate, Rose Law Firm, P.A., 1999-2004
- Law Clerk, U.S. District Judge Billy Roy Wilson, Eastern District of Arkansas, 1998 -1999
- Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Arkansas Bar Association, Former Chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section
- Arkansas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Pulaski County Bar Association
- Admitted to practice law in all state and federal courts in Arkansas and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Reed College, Portland, OR – B.A., 1992
- Boston College Law School, Boston, MA – J.D., cum laude, 1998. Managing Editor of Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review
- Commissioner, Arkansas Fair Housing Commission, 2013-2016
- VOCALS Pulaski County Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, 2011
- Former Member of Heart of Arkansas United Way Board
- Former Pro Bono Counsel to Central Arkansas District of United Methodist Church
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in the practice areas of: Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management and Litigation – Labor and Employment from 2009 to 2019.
- Selected as the 2014-15 Little Rock Employment Law – Individuals “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers and featured in the 21st edition of the Best Lawyers in America publication.
- Selected as the 2018 Little Rock Employment Law – Individuals “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers and featured in the 24th edition of the Best Lawyers in America publication. Only a single lawyer in each practice area and community is honored with a “Lawyer of the Year” award by Best Lawyers.
- AV Rated (Rated very high for legal ability and ethical conduct by the nation’s oldest and most reliable law directory – Martindale-Hubbell).
- Former Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America.
- Named Mid-South Super Lawyer from 2009 to 2018.