John D. Coulter grew up in Nashville, AR and has lived in Little Rock since 1998. He is a Partner of McMath Woods P.A. and specializes in the areas of labor and employment law, family law and personal injury. A strong advocate for a wide range of civil rights, John is dedicated to protecting the rights of his clients and upholding the right to trial by jury.
- Russenberger v. Thomas Pest Control, Inc., 2012 Ark. App. 86, 2012 WL 206487.
- Horton v. Horton, 2011 Ark. App. 361.
- Western Sizzlin Corp. v. Parks Land Co., LLLP, 2009 WL 1353110 (2009).
- IBAC Corp. v. Becker, 371 Ark. 330, 265 S.W.2d 755 (2007).
- Smith v. Sidney Moncrief Pontiac Buick, GMC Co., 353 Ark. 701, 120 S.W.3d 525 (2003).
- Hogan v. BG Excelsior Ltd. Partnership, 2009 WL 1034763 (E.D. Ark. 2009).
- 145 Associates Ltd. v. Theatrical Building Corp., 2003 WL 356056 (Ark. App. 2003).
- Partner, McMath Woods 2016-present
- Member, James, Carter and Coulter, P.L.C., 2006-2016
- Of Counsel, Kutak Rock, L.L.P., 2005-2006
- Partner, Rose Law Firm, P.A., 2004-2005
- Associate, Rose Law Firm, P.A., 1999-2004
- Law Clerk, U.S. District Judge Billy Roy Wilson, Eastern District of Arkansas, 1998 -1999
- Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Arkansas Bar Association, Former Chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section
- Arkansas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Pulaski County Bar Association
- Admitted to practice law in all state and federal courts in Arkansas and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Reed College, Portland, OR – B.A., 1992
- Boston College Law School, Boston, MA – J.D., cum laude, 1998. Managing Editor of Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review
- Commissioner, Arkansas Fair Housing Commission, 2013-2016
- VOCALS Pulaski County Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, 2011
- Member, Hillcrest Residents Association Board, 2011-present
- Former Member of Heart of Arkansas United Way Board
- Former Pro Bono Counsel to Central Arkansas District of United Methodist Church
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law, Labor Law and Labor & Employment from 2009 to 2017
- AV Rated (Rated very high for legal ability and ethical conduct by the nation’s oldest and most reliable law directory – Martindale-Hubbell)
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2014-17 Little Rock Employment Law – Individuals “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America
- Former Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Named Mid-South Super Lawyer from 2009 to 2017
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2016-17 Little Rock Employment Law – Individuals & Management, as well as Labor Law – Management. While being honored for this same distinction for Litigation – Labor & Employment, John was selected as “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America in this category.