Personal Attention, Proven Results Since 1953

Can I Be Compensated for Chronic Pain After an Accident?

Published on Sep 26, 2019 at 10:36 am in Personal Injury Lawyer.

Doctor holding x-ray of skeleton

An accident can happen at any time to anybody. Whether it be a car accident, a slip and fall, or an accident at work, accidents can cause serious injuries that leave the victim with pain that persists for a long time. If you experience chronic pain from an injury that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your suffering.

What Is Chronic Pain?

Chronic pain is categorized as lasting longer than 12 weeks and can even last for years. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), chronic pain is when pain signals keep firing in the nervous systems for a long period of time. This can be a result of an initial injury, repeated injuries, cumulative stress, diseases like cancer, or from nothing at all.

Chronic pain can be disabling for some sufferers and can keep victims from living a normal life. The pain can have a negative impact on a victim’s quality of life by causing other health problems and depression.

Not only do sufferers need medical treatment for their physical pain, but they could also need mental health treatment for emotional pain. Since chronic pain can be so debilitating, make sure that it is included in your claims for pain and suffering compensation.

How Do I Receive Compensation for Chronic Pain?

When you have chronic pain, you can get compensation for non-economic damages from your injury, including pain and suffering. But to be compensated, you have to prove that you have chronic pain. Here are some ways to prove that:

  • Medical records. Your medical records are your greatest resource for your case. These prove when and how you were injured, and that you have been experiencing pain ever since the injury.
  • Testimony from medical expert. In your case, a testimony from a medical expert will help you establish the credibility of your injuries. They will be able to explain the general pain surrounding the injuries that you have, and how long it can take to heal.
  • Daily journal. Another level of credibility for your case is to keep a daily journal that details your pain. This personal record will help you when you have to testify about your pain levels and the severity of your pain.

While these might sound personal and even invasive, you’ll need ample proof of your injury and pain in order to receive compensation. You’ll also need to make your claim before the statute of limitations.

Statute of limitations for an accidental personal injury is three years, according to Arkansas law. For medical malpractice, the statute of limitations is two years. But there is no limit to the damages that can be awarded for pain and suffering in Arkansas.

McMath Woods P.A. Can Get You Compensation

If you’ve been in an accident that caused a serious injury, you could have lasting pain. That can make everyday tasks harder than usual and can even lead to poor mental health. You’ll need medical care to manage your pain and improve your emotional state. Your chronic pain from a negligence-related incident could be compensated with some legal help from a personal injury lawyer. Contact us today so we can help you get the compensation you deserve. That way you can try to get back to living your life.

Free Case Evaluations

Disclaimer: Some non-personal injury related cases do require a consultation fee.

Call us or fill out the form below to tell us about your potential case and a personal injury lawyer will get back to you as quickly as possible.