Personal Attention, Proven Results Since 1953

How To Get a Police Accident Report in Arkansas

Published on Mar 3, 2023 at 5:38 pm in car accident.

How To Get a Police Accident Report in Arkansas
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Little Rock, Pulaski County, or the surrounding area, you may already have a sense of what you’re up against. With mounting medical bills, missed paychecks, and insurance adjusters constantly questioning your version of events, securing the compensation you are owed can feel like an uphill battle.

At McMath Woods P.A., we partner with our injury clients to collect and evaluate as much evidence as possible. One of the most critical pieces of evidence in any car accident claim is the police accident report. Let’s take a more in-depth look at how to get a police accident report in Arkansas, the information it contains, and when you are obligated to call the police to the scene of an auto accident.

How To Obtain a Copy of Your Police Accident Report in Arkansas

Police crash reports are public records in the state of Arkansas and may be accessed by anyone. The central repository for all crash reports in our state is maintained by the Arkansas State Police. You generally have three options for obtaining a copy of your accident report: online, in person, or by mail. A $10 fee is required for each request.

  • Online – To request a copy of one or more police accident reports online, visit the Arkansas Department of Public Safety website. Every online request is accompanied by a service fee on top of the initial $10 fee.
  • In person – To request a copy of one or more police accident reports in person, you can visit your local Arkansas State Police Department with a copy of the crash report request. If you are unsure where to go, please visit this website for county-specific information.
  • By mail – To request a copy of one or more police accident reports by mail, print out and complete the crash report request. Include a self-addressed envelope and a copy of your personal ID, such as a driver’s license. Mail your request, along with the envelope and copy of your ID.

Reports are generally available within 10 business days of the crash date. When mailing requests, they can be sent to the following address:

Arkansas State Police
Attn: Crash Records Station
One State Police Plaza Drive
Little Rock, AR 72209

You may also call 501-618-8128 if you experience any trouble accessing a copy of your police accident report.

What Information Is Contained Within a Police Accident Report?

A police accident report contains information that can be of significant importance in a car accident claim. This includes information regarding:

  • The location of the accident
  • The date and time at which the accident occurred
  • Damage to all involved vehicles
  • Any injuries
  • Driver statements
  • Eyewitness statements
  • The presence of adverse driving conditions, such as poor weather or limited visibility
  • Any police citations issued

In rare cases, a police report may also contain a determination of fault. If you notice any factually inaccurate information on your police accident report, speak with a car accident attorney from McMath Woods P.A. as soon as possible. We will help correct any inaccuracies that may impact your ability to recover compensation in a personal injury claim.

When Is a Police Accident Report Necessary?

State law requires that you immediately contact police about a motor vehicle accident if any of the following conditions are met:

  • $1,000 in property damage
  • Personal injury
  • Death

If you are unsure whether a collision warrants calling the police, err on the side of caution and call them anyway. If you do not call an officer to the scene of the accident, you have 30 days to file a Safety Responsibility SR-1 accident report to the Office of Driver Services. Penalties for failing to report an accident that involves any of the above conditions could result in a fine of anywhere from $100 to $1,000, license suspension or revocation, or even criminal consequences.

Who Pays for My Accident-Related Injuries?

Arkansas is an “at-fault” state when it comes to car accident liability. This means that whoever is responsible for causing the crash is also financially responsible for any resulting property damage, injuries, and losses. These costs are typically covered by the at-fault driver’s auto insurer, although you may also be able to recover compensation through your own insurer if you were hit by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.

There is one important thing to keep in mind when filing a car accident claim—the insurance company is not your friend. These companies maintain large profit margins by routinely denying liability and minimizing payouts wherever possible, and your case will certainly be no exception.

Information contained within the police accident report is generally considered to be a factual version of events, and referencing this document in your car accident claim can help strengthen your position as you seek to recover compensation for your damages.

Other Evidence That Can Help Substantiate a Personal Injury Claim

The police accident report from your crash is not the only piece of evidence that you will need in your personal injury claim. If you were injured by another driver’s negligent, reckless, aggressive, or dangerous behind-the-wheel behavior, collecting additional evidence will help you and your attorney build the strongest possible case.

Evidence that can be used to help substantiate a personal injury claim includes:

  • Highway traffic cameras
  • Dashcam footage
  • Cell phone records
  • Police citations
  • Eyewitness testimony
  • Results of an accident reconstructionist’s investigation
  • Pictures and videos of the accident scene

Don’t worry about whether evidence is too small or irrelevant to matter—leave that up to your car accident attorney. Sometimes even the smallest piece of evidence can help complete the most accurate picture of what really happened.

McMath Woods P.A. Is an Ally to Arkansas Injury Victims

You didn’t deserve to be injured by the negligent actions of another driver, but you do deserve to be fully and fairly compensated for all that you have been through. If your settlement does not fully cover your related medical bills, lost wages, or property damage, you could be missing out on compensation that is vital for your recovery.

Let McMath Woods P.A. be your tireless guide through the legal process of filing a car accident claim. We want to put our experience dealing with big insurance companies to work for you—contact us today for a free, confidential consultation.

Free Case Evaluations

Disclaimer: Some non-personal injury related cases do require a consultation fee.

Call us or fill out the form below to tell us about your potential case and a personal injury lawyer will get back to you as quickly as possible.