When you’re on someone else’s property, you expect it to be safe and you won’t come to any harm while you’re there. However, when owners don’t take care of their property, anyone who visits can be at risk of getting an injury. If you’ve been injured on someone else’s property, you may be wondering how you’re going to deal with your medical bills and when you’re going to return to work. These injuries have the potential to put your life on hold—but you can take steps to get the justice you deserve. A Fayetteville premises liability lawyer from McMath Woods P.A. will stand up for your rights.
Our law firm has helped clients who were injured because of negligent property owners and we’re ready to fight for you. When we’re representing you, we’ll find out what happened, how you were injured, and the cost of your losses. Let’s go over what can cause these types of accidents.
What Can Cause a Premises Liability Accident?
Any kind of property has the potential to be hazardous when the owner doesn’t make it safe for those on it. Whether you’re at a store, a restaurant, or movie theater, a negligent owner or manager could put you in danger of sustaining an injury. Some of the common causes of accidents include the following:
- Slippery or Uneven Surfaces. Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. Spilled liquids that aren’t cleaned up, unanchored or torn up carpets, uneven stairs, potholes or cracks in parking lots, debris blocking walkways, and poor lighting can all contribute to someone losing their balance and falling.
- Unfenced Pool. Pools are a major safety hazard. They are supposed to have a barrier like a fence to prevent young children from entering the area. Pools at hotels should also make sure the barrier locks after the pool closes for the day. When there is easy access to a pool, people can be in danger of drowning.
- Lack of Security. Unfortunately, if the premises doesn’t have sufficient security, it can leave people on the property vulnerable to criminal activity. If the owner didn’t take measures to protect those on their property or reduce the chances of criminal activity from occurring, then the injured person may have an eligible premises liability case.
- Unsafe Construction Zones. If a property is undergoing construction, the area should be sectioned off so people cannot accidentally walk into the unstable area and hurt themselves. They could be at risk of falling or something striking them in the head.
- Unleashed Pets. Pet owners need to be careful when others are on their property or when they’re taking their pet for a walk. For example, if owners have a dog that gets skittish around others, they should put the animal in a safe and secure section of the house so visitors won’t make them nervous. Owners should also make sure their dog is secure if it’s in the yard—there aren’t any holes in a fence or gates left open. When the owners are walking their dog off their property, the dog needs to be on a leash.
- Lack of Warning. Sometimes, there are safety hazards that the property owner or manager is aware of, but there hasn’t been time for the hazard to be fixed. If this is the case, the hazard should be properly blocked off or marked and those on the property need adequate warning.
Because there are so many ways that one can get hurt on someone else’s property, you want a skilled lawyer at your side to look into what happened to you. Our premises liability attorneys will find out what type of negligence led to your accident.
Common Places Where These Accidents Happen in Fayetteville
When you’re seeking justice for a premises liability accident, your lawyer will need every detail about where your accident occurred. This can also provide insight into who is responsible for your injuries. It’s possible your accident occurred in one of the following areas:
- Stores. Restaurants, clothing stores, grocery stores—these places typically have people going in and out all day. If there is a spill or cords on the ground, patrons could easily fall.
- Stairwells. Stairwells that aren’t maintained could have unsafe railings, icy steps, or poor lighting so people cannot see where they’re going. If you’ve been injured in a stairwell, our lawyers will find out what kind of building you were in, like an apartment building or a parking garage. From there, we can find out who was responsible for your injuries.
- Sidewalks. Sidewalks covered in snow, ice, or are uneven can result in people falling. If your accident occurred on a sidewalk, our lawyers will investigate who is supposed to maintain it. It could be in front of a business, a government building, or in a residential area. This can affect the timeframe you have to come forward with a claim.
- Parking Lots. Parking lots can have potholes, ice, and poor lighting. When any of these factors are present, someone can get hurt.
While there are various causes and locations where these accidents can happen, they all have similar outcomes of causing serious injuries and long recovery times.
How Severe Are Premises Liability Injuries?
Premises liability injuries can potentially be painful, keep you out of work while you recover, and in extreme cases, they can be life-threatening. Some possible premises liability injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury. A brain injury can cause permanent damage and affect one’s ability to concentrate, communicate, and can also impede memory. This may also prevent someone from returning to work or requiring different accommodations for their job.
- Spinal Cord Injury. Injuries to the spine can cause loss of function beneath the area where the spin was harmed. Some people may lose their ability to walk and experience other complications.
- Broken Bones/Sprains. It’s common for people to try and catch themselves when they fall. However, this can put the impact of the fall on someone’s wrist or arm, which can break and take weeks to heal.
- Dog Bite Injury. Dangerous dogs are a premises liability. Owners are supposed to secure their dog. When they don’t and the dog bites, it can tear skin, reach muscle or bone, and also dog bites can become infected. One of the biggest concerns with dogs is if they have rabies, which can be deadly.
Your premises liability injury could require you to stay in the hospital. As you’re healing, you may also need rehabilitation or other procedures in the future.
When you have severe injuries, they may affect you for the rest of your life. You may not be able to return to your job or even to the workforce. These drastic changes are difficult. While you’re making this adjustment, you shouldn’t have to worry about getting the care you need. That’s where your Fayetteville premises liability lawyer steps in.
What Should You Do After a Premises Liability Accident?
After an accident occurs, you may not know what to do next. It’s important to preserve evidence because this will help your attorney fight for you.
- Get Medical Attention. When you fall or hurt yourself in public, you may want to brush off the injury and get past it as soon as possible. However, if you’ve been hurt, ignoring the injuries can make them worse. Remain calm and call emergency services. Get medical attention so you can get first aid treatment. If the injuries are severe, they can help you get to the hospital.
- Report the Accident. If possible, report the accident to the person in charge. You’ll be able to write down your account of what happened. Include any details you remember, as these could help show where negligence occurred.
- Record Evidence. You can speak to eyewitnesses if they saw anything. If they’re willing, get their name and contact information. You may also want to take photographs of where the accident happened. This could capture the cause of your injury, like an unsalted sidewalk covered in ice or an exposed wire.
- Follow Up with a Doctor. Even if you feel fine, see a doctor to go over your injuries. You can start treating them and your medical record will show that you were hurt.
- Seek Representation. See a premises liability lawyer so you can work on getting the justice you deserve. Our law firm is ready to help you get the help you need.
As you’re recovering from your injuries, you will likely notice the costs of the accident. Covering medical expenses, missing work, and the pain and suffering you’re experiencing from your injuries may take a major toll on your life. But you don’t need to go through this alone. That’s what we’re here for.
When You Need Trustworthy Representation
A premises liability injury can be a major setback. Dealing with the recovery process and a claim can seem like a lot to deal with, but our lawyers can help you. Taking legal action can help you get the recovery you deserve. You’ll have peace of mind that we’re protecting your rights and will do everything we can to get you full and fair compensation for your injuries.
All you have to do is call our office today to schedule a free consultation. You can meet with our Fayetteville premises liability lawyers and talk about the accident and how it hurt you. We’ll discuss your options so you can move forward.